Welcome to the Grand Island Library Media Centers homepage!
Links to individual school library pages are found on the side navigation menu.
The mission of the Grand Island Central School District Library Media Centers is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information. This mission is accomplished by giving learners the tools to :
- Inquire, think critically, and gain knowledge;
- Draw conclusions, make informed decisions, apply knowledge to new situations, and create new knowledge;
- Share knowledge and participate ethically and productively as members of our democratic society;
- Pursue personal and aesthetic growth. (AASL Standards for the 21st-Century Learner, 2007)
- Reading is a window to the world.
- Inquiry provides a framework for learning.
- Ethical behavior in the use of information must be taught.
- Technology skills are crucial for future employment needs.
- Equitable access is a key component for education.
- The definition of information literacy has become more complex as resources and technologies have changed.
- The continuing expansion of information demands that all individuals acquire the thinking skills that will enable them to learn on their own.
- Learning has a social context.
- School libraries are essential to the development of learning skills. (AASL Standards for the 21st-Century Learner, 2007)