Viking Pride Award
The Viking Pride (Student of the Month) program is a schoolwide initiative meant to promote and recognize student success in and out of the classroom. Students must exemplify outstanding characteristics as a student and/or as a citizen of the school community. This program is designed to nominate and select students who demonstrate Viking Pride at Veronica Connor Middle School.
To be nominated for the Viking Pride award, the candidate must exemplify the Viking Values. Students nominated to be receive the Viking Pride Award are students who demonstrate the character traits that we value at VCMS. Students cannot receive the Viking Pride award more than once within a year. This award is presented as an example to all students of our expectations and our definition of the requirements for success in the middle school and beyond. These characteristics are based on our core values we share, and we believe will serve our students well as they move into high school and adult life. Eligibility is not based on grades but rather on the student’s possession of a variety of positive characteristics. The following criteria are used when selecting our student of the month.
The Viking Pride recipient is:
- Respectful - The student treats classmates, teachers and staff with respect by valuing each as an individual, accepting differences, and valuing the work that others do.
- Honest - The student communicates truthfully and in a respectful way with classmates, teachers, and staff and refrains from dishonesty when completing academic work.
- Committed to success - The student strives for success in all he/she does and works to the best of his/her ability.
- Responsible - The student embraces the responsibility required to maintain progress in schoolwork and other personal goals.
- Positive - The student contributes to the success of the school by promoting a positive school climate through actions and words.
Nomination Questions to Consider:
- Does the student prepare for classroom activities?
- Does the student go above and beyond his/her role as a student?
- Has the student made significant progress in your classroom?
- Has the student been working to or above his/her potential?
- Does the student turn in all work?
- Has the student improved grades or participation in your class?
- Has the student improved his/her attendance and/or punctuality?
VCMS Viking faculty, staff, and administration will nominate students each month. Each month the staff will be sent a link to complete the electronic nomination application that will be completed during the grade level meeting. Each grade level will nominate a predetermined number of students [Sixth Grade- Three students (one per team), Seventh Grade- Three students, Eighth Grade- Three students]. If a special area teacher would like to nominate a student, he/she will attend the grade level meeting to advocate for their nomination.
All nominations will be submitted electronically using Google Forms. The names, pictures, and paragraph of your team’s rationale will be showcased during the month of recognition on the school’s website and in the Viking Pride display case outside the main office. Administration will also present a Viking Pride certificate and award to the student.