Emergency Closings Due to Weather Conditions
School Closings Due to Weather Conditions
In the event of school delays/closings due to weather related conditions, the following protocol will take place:
Cancellation of after school events:
• In the event we need to cancel after school events, the District will attempt to do so no later than 1:30 pm.
• Just for Kids remains in session until the normal closing time on that day.
All day closing:
• The District will do everything possible to make the decision to close schools no later than 5:30 am.
• Closing information will be sent through the Rapid Response Call system and announced on local traditional media outlets.
If you have not received a call from this system during a school closing, it may be that we do not have current contact information. Please review the information provided to the school on a regular basis and send in a signed note with any changes, corrections, or additions.
• There will be no bus service to off-Island school placements if the Grand Island Central School District is closed.
If no announcement is made between 6 and 9 a.m., it is assumed that school will be open as usual.
Ultimately, it is the responsibility of parents or guardians to make the final decision regarding school attendance. If schools are open but parents feel the weather is too severe, they have the right to keep their child(ren) home. In this instance, it is essential that the parent contact the school to alert them of their child(ren)’s absence and to make arrangements for missed work.
Wind Chill Concerns:
The safety of our students and staff is the basis for any decision. Key factors that must be considered include current and projected weather conditions; road conditions; and, at times, temperature and wind chill factors. We begin to look carefully at possibly closing when there is a current or projected -20 wind chill temperature: health officials recommend that we consider closing schools if the wind chill is expected to fall to -25 or lower.