Mrs. Dunbar's Corner
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to Charlotte Sidway Elementary School! Sidway School is located in the center of Grand Island and is the only building housing Kindergarten and First Grade students. Sidway operates as an Early Childhood Education Center. The Grand Island Central School Disrict takes great pride in providing programs designed specifically to meet the needs of young learners. Highlights of our Early Childhood program include:
- A Balanced Literacy approach to reading. This includes instruction in Phonics and phonemic awareness as well as strategic reading and writing. Teachers utilize a leveled book room in order to assure students are reading at their instructional level.
- Science and Social Studies are also important components of the instructional day. These content areas are embedded in the instructional program as per the New York State Common Core Learning Standards.
- We have a strong Response To Intervention (RTI) program which provides support for students in Reading and Math. There are four full-time Reading Recovery teachers on staff, providing the most intensive reading support for students. Reading Recovery teachers also serve as literacy coaches within the classroom setting. Intervention is also available for students in small group settings.
- Sidway School has an active character education program called PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports). Our three core Sidway Values are Respect, Responsibility and Safety. These core values are taught to students and are expected to be demonstrated throughout the school day. This is a K-12 District wide program, later referred to as "Viking Values".
- We also have an active PTA that sponsors many programs and activites for students. Please check our school calendar or events page for meeting dates. New members are always welcome.
I look forward to working with you this school year. I have an open door policy and welcome your comments, questions and suggestions at any time. We strive to work together with you to provide your child an outstanding beginning to their education.