The Value of School Lunch
The Value of School Lunches
Why school lunches are a healthy, affordable alternative to packing lunches for your child:
- This year school meals got even healthier for our students! Some of these changes include: offering more fruits and veggies, cutting sodium, and adding even more whole grains. All school meals and snacks must comply with the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, which is based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- School lunches provide one-third of a child's daily requirements for calories, protein, vitamins and minerals; school breakfast provides one-quarter the daily requirements.
- Nutritionally balanced menus offer students variety, and popular food choices.
- School lunches increase the availability and access for students to make healthy choices.
*Compared to children with a school lunch, children with a lunch brought from home were significantly less likely to have fruits (75.9% vs. 45.3%), vegetables (29.1% vs. 13.2%), and dairy (70.0% vs. 41.8%) (p < 0.001). Children with a lunch from home were more likely to have snacks high in sugar and/or fat (17.5% vs. 60.0%) and non 100% fruit juice/fruit drink (0.3% vs. 47.2%) (p < 0.001) than children with a school lunch. *Results from study conducted by USDA/ARS Children's Nutrition Research Center at Baylor College of Medicine
School Lunches Include 5 Healthy Choices
1. Meat (lean beef, chicken, pork) / Meat Alternatives (peanut butter, low-fat cheeses & yogurts)
2. All Whole Grain Rich Products - breads, rolls, wraps, pasta, rice
3. Vegetables - variety of fresh and prepared
4. Fruits - assortment of fresh and light canned fruits
5. Milk - 1/2 pt. 1% or skim milk or fat-free flavored milk
Save Time and Money!
Preparing a lunch at home: 10 minutes/day x 180 school days/year = 30 hours a year!
Choose a School Lunch and ease morning chaos: $2.25-$3.00.
Spend more time with your family and know your child will have a nutritious meal - Priceless!
Wellness is a way of life - When we eat better: we learn easier, play harder and live healthier!